1) You should spend a reasonable amount of time relaxing and exercising.（spend time on sth/ in doing sth） 2) In general children are healthier and better educated than ever before. (than ever before) 3) When the right opportunity comes along, he’ll take it. 4) Every day he sets aside some time to be with his family and enjoy life. 5) I remember those dark streets and walking hand in hand with my father. 6) He finally failed to live up to his parents’ expectations. 7) In contrast, our use of oil has increased enormously. 8) He succeeded in his efforts to overcome his fatal weakness.
1) with a pattern of roses. 2) prepared a wonderful / good meal for us 3) promised faithfully 4) deliver this letter 5) a selection of milk and plain chocolate 6) keep out of mischief / behave themselves
7） the sound of distant thunder 8) received approval from the government 9) in spite of the fact that he drank too much 10）agree whether the drug is safe or not
1) Because of an emergency, the doctor will not be available for several hours. 2) How will taxes affect people with low incomes? 3) My mother always told me that in the long run I would be glad I didn’t give up practicing the piano. 4) These book range in price form $10 to $20. 5) It seems to me that you don’t have much choice. 6) Given their inexperience, they have done quite a good job. 7) For such a big house the price is fairly cheap/low, but you’ve got to take into consideration the money you will spend on repairs. 8) Can we begin with discussing questions/problems arising from the last meeting?
1) He underwent a major heart surgery several years ago.
2) We estimated that it would take a week to finish the work. 3) I used to enjoy photography, but now I have no time to pursue any hobbies. 4) You may love someone but not necessarily have to marry him. 5) Terrorists resort to violence to achieve their political aims. 6) He says he’ll stay in the office this afternoon in case you want to see him. 7) Scientists have identified the gene that causes abnormal growth. 8) These examples demonstrate how badly some students write their resumes.
1) Seeing all the people walking to and fro outside the office, I became more worried. 2) In time he will see who his true friend is. 3) That scientist’s experiment gave birth to a new drug. 4) He had been shut in by illness during much of the winter. 5) They would practice spoken English at the first opportunity. 6) Everything she valued might be swept away overnight. 7) Towards the close of the term, all the students are busy preparing for the finals. 8) It is a very cold winter and we long for it to be over.
1) She always behaves badly when her aunt comes to visit. 2) If it hadn’t been for your help, we wouldn’t have been able to finish the task in time. 3) I warned him off going to the east coast because it was full of tourists. 4) The fact that something is cheap doesn’t necessarily mean it’s of low quality. 5) Without anyone to turn to for help, making an appropriate choice can be difficult. 6) His sadness at the death of his wife found expression in his music. 7) Only if Peter goes to the evening party will she go. 8) I can only compare the experience to a nightmare.
1) I didn’t realize putting on/ staging a play involved so much work. 2) The most important thing is not what you say but what you do. 3) This is the best result that can be expected in such circumstances.
4) It isn’t the first time that you’ve found yourself in such a situation. 5) This difficulty challenges my mind to find an answer. 6) The new threat on the horizon is unemployment. 7) We have alternative ways of expressing the same idea. 8) He slipped into the old habit of drinking.
1) I took advantage of the fine weather today to play tennis. 2) You may even swim in the lake if you feel inclined to. 3) The loud music brought on another one of his headaches. 4) A careless is apt to make mistakes. 5) The experiment resulted in the discovery of a cure for cancer. 6) Comparatively speaking, we are more concerned with work efficiency and product development. 7) Doctors said that surgery could induce heart attack. 8) I qualified/ was qualified as a doctor at London University 30 years ago.
1) When he returned to his office, he was confronted with an enormous pile of work.
2) The captain of this football team scored two wonderful goals early on in the game. 3) Provided they are fit, I don’t know why they won’t go on playing for another three or four years. 4) In emergencies he can still make sound judgments. 5) While I admit that there are problems, I don’t agree that they cannot be solved. 6) He went on listening to her, at times impatient and at times fascinated. 7) We must find a way to resolve these problems before it is too late. 8) Parents cannot always have the school of their choice for their children.